Bradley Beach Historical Society and Museum is hosting a multi-generational celebration of the Chinese-American experience in Bradley Beach that dates back almost a century.
Chinatown-by-the Sea Celebration
Saturday, August 26, 2023, 1pm – 7 PM
Primary Venue: Firehouse Banquet Hall
815 Main Street, Bradley Beach
Tickets: $30 includes one-year BBHS membership
Beginning in the 1920s, families from New York’s Chinatown came to Bradley Beach every summer. They came for a few days or a few weeks to stay at Cliff Villa, which was owned by the Church of All Nations, a Methodist settlement house on the Lower East Side.
- Featured Guests: Ava Chin, author of MOTT STREET: A Chinese American Family’s Story of Exclusion and Homecoming, Actress Jodi Long, author of Surfing My DNA
- MOCA on the Road: The Museum of Chinese in America (MOCA) will share artifacts, letters and photographs from its extraordinary collection.
- Authentic Chinese Dumpling-making Demonstration and Tasting
- Oral histories from Bradley’s early Chinese families
- Home visits with time to tour and talk about those good old days